Wednesday 11 August 2010

Shame

My second post I hope to dedicate to the concept of Shame.... and exploring rather than debating the notions of this feeling. Can I call it a feeling?


I began to think of SHAME, mainly because of two separate conversations I had in the last week with some friends as well as Goggler's thought provoking posts and the article she posted about SATC. Moreover Shame, is one of my favourite Rushdie books, that I've read about 3 times justin the last academic year :$


What exactly is Shame?? I cannot provide an OED definition as my Athens username and password has now expired, please if you are still a student, can you do a search for me on http://dictionary.oed.com! It should come up with several definitions...I do have some web definitions here: shame  (shm)
n.
1.
a. A painful emotion caused by a strong sense of guilt, embarrassment, unworthiness, or disgrace.
b. Capacity for such a feeling: Have you no shame?
2. One that brings dishonor, disgrace, or condemnation.
3. A condition of disgrace or dishonor; ignominy.
4. A great disappointment.
tr.v. shamed, sham·ing, shames
1. To cause to feel shame; put to shame.
2. To bring dishonor or disgrace on.
3. To disgrace by surpassing.
4. To force by making ashamed: He was shamed into making an apology.

Source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/shame

When I think of shame I think of that burning feeling of guilt which manifests itself as bright red cheeks and makes your stomach do somersaults because you know you have done something bad. Or know that you are going to get in trouble for doing something bad (often I find my conscience only kicks in when I'm about to get found out! Perhaps this is why Rushdie writes: "Shame is like everything else; live with it for long enough and it becomes part of the furniture.")
Rushdie depicted Shame most memorably in the character of Sufiya Zinobia who would burn bright red from shame for all the other characters who lacked shame, were shameless:
"Between shame and shamelessness lies the axis upon which we turn; meteorological conditions at both these poles are of the most extreme, ferocious type. Shamelessness, shame: the roots of violence."

Let's be specific. Rushdie when writing Shame not only referred to Pakistan and its history, but the microcosm of violence in households, towards familieis, towards women, but also towards sexuality. And it is the latter I am concerned with.


Can any good come of shame? Is there an innately built sense of shame or is it all a case of culture? Again I quote Rushdie, who believes shame has no counterpart in the English language and feels he has to speak it in his cultural voice:
"This word: shame. No, I must write it in its original form, not in this peculiar language tainted by wrong concepts and the accumulated detritus of its owners' unrepented past, this Angrezi in which I am forced to write and so for ever alter what is written... "Sharam, that's the word. For which this paltry 'shame' is a whole inadequate translation. Three letters, shin rè mìm (written, naturally, from right to left); plus zabar accents indicating the short vowel sounds. A short word, but one containing encyclopaedias of nuance. It is not only shame that his mothers forbade Omar Khayyam to feel, but also embarrassment, discomfiture, decency, modesty, shyness, the sense of having an ordained place in the world and other dialects of emotion for which English has no counterparts."


I can't help but notice SHARAM has the word HARAM in it....meaning forbidden, and unlawful within Islam. Could it be that to do things which are HARAM perpetuates shame, sharam?
Clearly, in a diverse, polytheistic and atheist society different people have different definitions of shame. With regards specifically to sexuality, can a hippy attitude to sex (free love for all) ever perpetuate shame? Is there any purpose to shame?


One of the two conversations I recently had with a good friend, revealed to me my shortcomings. The friend stated an Arabic proverb to me which loosely translated as 'that which happens between two people behind closed doors, should stay in that room with them.' That is to say, confessionals and gossip columns and girly talk which leaves very little to the imagination (which I openly admit I engage in and initiate) is shameless, in the eyes of my friend. To have no shame, is equatable to being a loose woman, in my friend's opinion. Talk about your partner(s) and what you did/do with your partner(s) means you have lost the ability to filter out information and images that are in your brain and enter into everyday table conversation..... Perhaps?


Once again, I turn to Rushdie to give the gift of language to my thoughts, from his 'East,West' short stories he cannot choose between his Eastern cultural influences and his Western 'education' :  

"But I, too, have ropes around my neck, I have them to this day, pulling me this way and that, East and West the nooses tightening, commanding, choose, choose.
I buck, I snort, I whinny, I rear, I kick. Ropes, I do not choose between you, Lassoes, lariats, I choose neither of you, and both. Do you hear? I refuse to choose. "

In a similar vein, I feel the tug of my Orthodox upbringing agreeing with the Arabic proverb....Yet, surely to be quiet and to not educate your friends, and children about the joys of the bedroom is to be a prude? LOL!
To not want to educate women? It must therefore be that SHAME (with referene to sex) is simply a cultural construct seeking to oppress women? NO! Or is it YES?!

When I was about 12 years old, I read a book called 'Chandra' about an Indian girl and her arranged marriage at the age of 11 to a boy of 16. Her husband dies before they have a chance to consummate the marriage and she is slandered as a devil girl by her inlaws, and the book follows the plight of the girl and the violent beatings she took before she could escape to freedom. For the first time that I can remember, I felt indignation burn inside me for this fictional character. I felt her beatings burn on my skin, and I felt that she should have been stronger, she should have felt NO SHAME. She only felt shame, because she believed she was a devil and had caused her husband's death too! Hence shame cannot be something innate, it must be a construct of culture?

Shame does not have a truth factor to it, shame is most often felt by those who have done no wrong. Most often rape victims, stay silent because they feel shame encompassing their whole body and do not wish to taint their good name, or their families'.....This type of shame is one which is not inflicted on oneself but breeds dishonour and disgrace for others or for oneself. It is this type of shame which is need of education and modification.

But the shame which one brings upon oneself....Can we really talk of shame in an epoch of decadence? The cultural stereotypes that films like SATC purport suggest that the West is free, but the East is restricted, oppressed. Yet when the East looks on the West they see a shameless people, advocating immoral behaviour.....the West see an unecessarily shame filled location. However the world is not so black and white.....But the LAW of each respective country perhaps is more binary....thus what happens when the shameless enter into a country where shame abounds? Like the sex trials of Vince Acors who had sex on a beach in Dubai, and broke the laws of "public indecency and having unmarried sex." I guess this is what SATC was directly alluding to. 
The hypocrisy associated with the UAE however is not unique to the Eastern world....And by the hypocrisy I mean the immense sex traffic that occurs in Dubai 'the middle Eastern flesh capital' but perhaps all over the world. As one writer has written:  Dubai is "a nation that is built upon the very dichotomy that is prostitution: necessary but unwanted; illegal but desired!" (but this is not a new attitude to prostitution, after all even Augustine of Hippo writing in 4th c AD stated that prostitution is necessary in a society, as there will be men that will always will request it)
http://sexual-abuse.suite101.com/article.cfm/prostitution_in_dubai


My theory is that shame and shamelessness is not something we can geographically pinpoint and slander as emancipation/education and/or illiteracy. The hypocrisy behind shame and shamelessness is something which is integral to each individual, and the battle of ropes between East and West, that Rushdie talks of ....is simply the internal moral battle which occurs on a daily basis....


Now what of men, can men feel shame? Is it not a British ideal that ‘a gentleman will never kiss and tell’ about his adventures with ms anonymous lady the night before? Or is that a unisex trope for all Brits? Or is it something that is universal for all men? They simply don’t diverge into details, where as ladies are more than comfortable to tell their friends minute details (NO PUN intended?)


10 comments:

  1. So shame...

    I don't necessarily think that because women "divulge all" means that they are shameless; I actually think that it shows a liberty that women haven't had for centuries, often under a male oppressive society. For example, in 18th century France (and I am sure in other Western European countries), women were advised AGAINST looking at art, reading novels, being part of the arts because of some sort of weakness in their psyche which meant that they were more susceptible to lascivious thoughts than men were. Freud also comments on this saying that men have an outlet for their desires (through the creation of Art), but women didn't, or not in the same way.

    I actually think that to claim that shame is not an inherent quality in human morality is hazardous and certainly lends itself to the debate of whether human beings have an inherent/ natural moral code or whether this morality comes from society or religion. I personally, being an atheist, believe that humans DO have an inherent sense of morality... I think that Rousseau is important when looking at this question. Looking at the development of society and the evolution of society, Rousseau reveals that there is a sense of what is morally right or wrong in the development of society; the move from savage man to a functioning society.

    Shame, for me, is undoubtedly linked to the society that we live in. I do, however, feel that shame is often an emotion that is used to manipulate and control. To say, particularly to women, something is wrong and to do certain things will bring shame. Well, who says that it will be shameful? Where do these seemingly arbitrary rules come from? It, for me, is incredible that women, especially, are still the main recipients of the “shame factor” and this extends from issues such as the ‘hijab’ and the ‘burka’ all the way to SATC.

    SATC, for me, signals a real liberty for women. You confessed in your previous blog that you hadn’t actually watched SATC (and I am talking about the series and not the films). I think if you watched them, you’d be pleasantly surprised. I don’t claim that the women that we watch in this are the role models that all young girls should aspire to have, but what I really do think that they show, more than other shows such as Gossip Girl and the OC, for example, is a certain emancipation of the women in a modern and still, unfortunately, man’s world. They talk about their problems, both sexual and emotional; something that was unprecedented before now. How long have women had to keep their mouths shut, or their need to talk and seek advice, for fear of being seen as shameful? Too long. This is why I am an ardent supporter of SATC; these women are successful, intelligent and sexually liberated RATHER THAN liberally sexual (i.e. they are slags). However this in itself is also a point of contention, as it is often okay, or a mere fact, that men are much more sexually liberal than women in the sense that they are allowed to sleep around without having any scruples about doing so… and for a long time society saw this, as I said, as a natural and frankly necessary act for men. Women who did this were whores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for the cultural shame that you talk about, I am not sure what your stance is… I think that culture definitely has a huge part to play in the feeling of shame being felt. In Eastern culture, you are more often going to made to feel shame for acts, which in the West, would be completely neutral/ acceptable. As a woman, I feel that the onus often falls upon the woman; it is often her fault, the shame bought around by the female action, the female body, even. I do think that this is significantly linked with religion and superstition, and I personally think that it needs to be overhauled. Women are still, especially in the East, oppressed and repressed through actions which are supposedly shameful, but this “shame” may not even be internally felt by the women, i.e. they may not actually feel that what they have done is shameful, but society deems it so, and so they have to repent or be answerable to this shame.

    I don’t know much about whether men feel shame or not, but I would imagine that yes, especially seeing as my belief about shame is that we all experience it, and all have a knowledge of what is wrong or right, without the religious and moral codes set out by the major religions. Why should one feel shame? Because they are breaking a rule/ moral rule that is intimate to them. Where do these morals come from? I believe that the human race can distinguish what is right or wrong (broadly speaking) because of an inherent and implicit moral code which is necessary for the human race to prosper and survive.

    Shame, for me, can be reduced to a mere manipulation tool in certain societies and religions and is not really shame if it is not truly felt by the person. For example, if a man or woman is adulterous, do they feel shame whilst they are committing the act? Or, do they only feel shame when they are caught? Or do they feel shame long afterward? Or do they feel shame not because of their actions, but because others will be judged for it? Or what if the person does not feel any shame…. Are they are sociopath? Morally devoid? I would say that it depends…. I do think that shame is a multi-layered concept. What do you think about some of the points that I have raised? Sorry for the source-less and quote-less references, but I can’t be bothered to go leafing through my essays and notes… ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting blog so I'd thought I'd have a little comment.

    I see shame as something quite personal and internal shaped by someones core belief's, values and the society around them. Beyond this I'm not sure it's even possible to fully define shame with the words we have available to us. It was suggested that shame is a case of how one feels when they do wrong but I feel it is something deeper than that. For example, I believe lying to be (on the most part) wrong yet I feel no shame when I may tell one.

    Would you say it is fair to say that shame comes about not just from partaking in 'wrong' behaviour by a person's own standards but also combined with the realisation of how other people around you may perceive such behaviour? I guess this is like the point Goggler makes about an affair, where does the shame lie? Also what then is the difference between guilt and shame or can they be used interchangeably?

    On to societal 'shame': For me the term "you should be ashamed of yourself" is simply a reflection of a person's own values and thus what they feel is acceptable behaviour. I do not believe that there is enough homogeneity is Western societies to think of an overall 'shame'. If one subscribes to the idea of post-modernity, then certainly society is liberal and diverse enough to accept various types of behaviour (beyond extremes such as violent criminal acts).

    I think the interesting question is how internal shame is without external influences. By this I mean, the age old debate of nature vs nurture. I personally believe shame is the result of a person's own innate moral code, which is then shaped by their environment. What I may see as behaviour to be ashamed of is most definitely shaped by my background, religiously and ethnically but the original starting point is what is within and 'untainted'.

    without proof reading lol i hope i've put across whats in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guys just wanted to quickly comment I feel so so so happy that you are discussing and bringing new ideas! I LOVE THEM ALL! And this was my very intention in setting up a blog, to get ideas flowing, to be educated! Will comment back today, and I may introduce some 'new blood' to the page, which should be interesting for debate :P
    On my way to an interview now!
    But once again MASSIVE THANKS to both of you for commenting! I loveeeee what your writing! Both fantastic writers, much better than myself! xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. you're!From an English student (BLUSH!) Haven't had any sleep is my excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shame like just about every other word/feeling/concept falls under the mercy of interpretation. This interpretation differs depending on culture, life style, beliefs and I would say morals (but that would just trigger another debate).

    Within the Western world it can be said the term shame and embarrassment are closely linked.. Whereas in the East there is a big difference. The East and West contrast when it comes to culture and beliefs and therefore in their interpretations of shame. This difference is what most misunderstand and as a result the East falsely see the West as shameless and the West falsely see the East as oppressed. Although not a big fan of mr.rushdie he quite rightly says theres a difference between the word shame and the urdu word sharam.. The difference isn’t the definition, the difference is the society in which they exist which gives each word a whole different identity.

    A good example of the West’s stance is the Renault advert 'we live in modern times'. You also mention sex and the education of women..(What about men? Men aren't born with all the knowledge! Lol) ..one of my all time favourite writers, Voltaire rightly(to a certain extent) said, "it is an infintile superstition of the human spirit that virginity would be thought a virtue and not the barrier that separates ignorance from knowledge." This isn’t far from the mindset the majority of the Western world have. Sleeping with a string of people has become something most are comfortable with.
    The other side which I’d like to begin explaining with the use of another quote.. This time one made by boxer Mohammed Ali while speaking to his daughter he reportedly said.. "The most precious things in this world are hidden, gold..diamonds..emeralds.. Hidden deep within mountains. Pearls in shells at the bottom of the ocean.. Away from everyones reach and view.. The human body is the same, put it in everyones reach and view and its no longer as 'precious' and begins to be taken for granted." This is the other side of the story and dare I say is self explanatory? But just incase.. another example in more practical terms.... Lets analyse it with economics! Every economists favourite tool... Supply and demand..! When the supply level for a luxury good increases.. The price or 'value' rapidly falls. And at first the demand reacts to this fall in value by skyrocketing but shortly after, markets equal themselves and the demand falls much lower then it had originally started. All of a sudden the 'good' is no longer seen as a luxury good.. But just a common commodity. The loss of value is the shame. (Economists before u come at me with axes and pitchforks the terminology was very basic.. But it was so everyone could easily understand it.)
    This is also the primary basis upon which the Eastern beliefs are based on. Although its more the islamic view as it applies to MEN AND WOMEN. However as Goggler has quite rightly pointed out the application to men is something nearly non-existant this is where culture and hypocracy plays their part and the male dominance of the world comes into view. Where i strongly disagree with Goggler is this double standards and hypocrisy where women feel shame more is a result of religion. From an islamic point of view this is incorrect. The Eastern culture may make it appear that way but it could not be further from the truth, men are EQUALLY as answerable for their adultery and lack of modest attire amongst other things in Islam. However its the culture and global male dominance that overlooks this.. and as a result religion falsely bares the blemishes inflicted by culture.





    *I apologise for the endless spelling and gramatical errors.. Not the easiest of tasks writing this on a blackberry with a retarded keyboard.. Especially since the the preview button doesn’t seem 2 work on mobile internet? Lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn amazing to see how you have all branched onto different aspects of shame, yet I think unanimously agree that the concept of shame can be both culturally influenced as well as subjective.
    I think there are some definite overlaps in definitions though - for instance GUILT as Serene mentioned, and one's CONSCIENCE are interlinked with the notions of SHAME.
    I did express my opinion on SHAME only being felt, on a personal level when I KNOW there is a possibility of being found out/or my act(S)/deed(S) being found out. Now, I think SHAME and GUILT are interlinked, but perhaps guilt is something more transient than SHAME.
    I would feel guilty for entering into an adulterous relationship, yet I still do it.
    The shame I feel internally may be called guilt (as Serene highlights) but I think shame carries a stronger connotation that is longer lasting. When one is found out, that is when the SHAME comes. This is not always, necessarily the case.
    Moreover, in some cases I am certain the shame is not even felt, even though the person(s) in question KNOW they should feel guilty or feel ashamed, they cannot. And then we are dealing essentially with a question of CONSCIENCE.
    Now I am certain there was a whole module at university, dedicated to the psychoanalytic notions of the CONSCIENCE and I don't think we can ever thoroughly understand such an intangible concept. Because it is an amalgam of both social upbringing, education, as well as the choices we make for ourselves and the moral conduct we formulate. But I think what is VERY INTERESTING is often our EGO (by ego I mean the Greek 'I' rather than Freud's psychoanalytic definition of a tripartite I) goes against our CONSCIENCE.
    Often the more and more you go against your conscience, the less you 'hear its voice', the less shame you feel. Essentially you become SHAMELESS to yourself, rather than to anybody else.
    Obviously when we start discussing sexual mores, the concept of shame is externalised and society takes on a big role in the definition of shame.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm interested in both internal notions and external notions, as none of us lives completely apathetic to the views and influences of others. I think it is harder to look at the internal mechanisms of the self and reflect objectively about oneself.
    I DO Goggler, believe all humans have an innate sense of morality...but on the other hand HUMANKIND I believe has the savage 'red in tooth and claw' nature Rousseau talks of, and which Dawkins has posited in 'The Selfish Gene' as the general nature of humanity - to be savage and violent to one another, in order to enact Darwinian 'survival of the fittest.'
    I have to disagree with ALL humanity being savage, although I DO believe we all have the POTENTIAL within us. I did NOT try to posit that humans are in need of religion in order to feel shame, but certainly some of the moral codes we follow are based within religion, albeit willingly or unconsciously.

    Goggler....I think your distinction between being 'sexually liberated' rather than liberally sexual was very astute! And I think I will utilise it more often!

    Philosophe
    [i.e. Filosofos - to decline 'os' into the vocative case (i.e. when ur calling someone by name) in Greek you change to an 'e'!]
    I think you're right about religion being blamed as a whole rather than blaming culture (and its peoples who often bastardise the rules of religion by liberalising whatever they wish to and yet become Pharisaic in their fundamentalism that give religion an awful name.) Dawkins takes this to the extreme polar:

    http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=9002284641446868316#

    Btw Dawkins is a biologist not a scientist :P

    Philosophe you used economics to explain the rare virtue of virginity? And Goggler you also touched upon the mystery of the female body and the superstition that surrounded it in the past. Now I spent three years of my undergraduate degree literally dissecting religious and literary texts alike for the dissection of the female body! The ideas put forward at university were very feminist, very anti-religion and mainly focused on hagiography.
    The ideas I had about the female body prior to going to university: the concept of the HYMEN has caused a disgusting attack on females to preserve this nonsense called virginity. If the bed doesn’t bleed, she's not a virgin, she's a whore. What was called ‘bloodletting’ in medieval times.
    I can't believe there are people out there that to this day still believe if a woman does not have her hymen intact, she is not a virgin. Perhaps these old ancient tales had stemmed from men who had been with women who had microperforated hymens!
    SEE: http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/hymen.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Think the following paragraph is also educational:

    "The hymen or the vaginal corona, is a fold of mucous membrane that surrounds or partially covers the external vaginal opening. It forms part of the vulva, or external genitalia.[1][2][3] Despite this, it is not possible to confirm with absolute certainty that a woman is a virgin, by examining her hymen due to the fact that in rare cases there are mothers with an intact hymen.[2][3] In cases of suspected rape or sexual abuse, a detailed examination of the hymen may be carried out; but in rare instances the condition of the hymen alone is often inconclusive or open to misinterpretation, especially if the patient has reached puberty.[1] In children, although a common appearance of the hymen is crescent-shaped, many variations are possible.[1] After a woman gives birth, she may be left with remnants of the hymen, called carunculae myrtiformes, or the hymen may be completely absent.[4]"

    I'm not saying that in any religious texts it says that a woman must be a virgin on the day she gets married and must bleed! This is probably a cultural myth that has mixed in with religion.

    I know Philosophe you didn't actually use the word virgin in your post, but I am going to launch an attack on that word, because it was implicit. What exactly does it mean? Especially in our secular Western society - what does it really mean?

    Virginity more than anything means a state of mind rather than a physical state. If virginity were viewed in this way perhaps people would be less narrow minded.
    And I think because people are so lazy in understanding morals and actions by just exterior acts, for the sake of credulity, sensationalism and empiricism they are lead astray. Fundamentalism exists in all societies, be they religious fundamentalists or not, but to kill a woman because she has slept with a man before being married or with someone outside of her culture, thus bringing shame upon the family and therefore she must die/be injured/rejected from the family, is abhorrent. Have we ever heard of a man being killed for the same reasons?
    No! Why the hell not? Why is female virginity prized so much higher than male virginity?
    There are several reasons, which I believe has brought this ridiculous favouring of one sex over another into being.
    Yes female bodies are vessels which are more susceptible to damage (although the above definition of the hymen shows this is not always the case)and therefore the myth would follow that it may be more pleasurable for a MAN to sleep with a woman who has had fewer partners....
    Again wrong - read

    http://www.scarleteen.com/article/politics/magical_cups_bloody_brides_virginity_in_context

    ReplyDelete
  10. Obviously there is the other explanation, that before birth control women's bodies were more susceptible to SHAME. i.e. she could get pregnant from pre- and extra marital relationships much easier than modern day women can.
    I’m sure all of this is fairly familiar stuff, but perhaps we ought to start thinking of sexuality in terms of states of mind, as aforementioned. Virginity in my eyes is definitely more of a state of a mind, you think purely, you act purely, rather than it being a physical state of a rare commodity which then turns women into items for bartering, or worse still prized objects such as trophy wives!
    Sexuality is of course a personal choice, and being liberally sexual (as Goggler puts it) is not something I advocate. However what I am against, is the narrow mindedness of certain peoples and the hypocrisy of these peoples. (I do not leave myself without undergoing condemnation.)
    For instance, men who claim to be religious and seeking a good wife – and by a good wife they simply mean one who hasn’t ever set eyes on another man, let alone ever touched one - yet during their teenage years AND all the way through to their adult years ogle at women, try to beat the United Nations’ membership by sleeping with women of every nationality, ethnicity, religion and colour! And then condemn these women for being loose!!!!!!!! And then get married to their good virgin at the age of 30....
    On the other hand, for all my man slander, I accept the fact that for a man to be a virgin in our society will either leave him with a few pigeon holes : either he is gay, or there is something socially unacceptable about him: perhaps he lives with his parents, perhaps he is too fat/ugly/spotty/geeky – enter as appropriate. Hence abhorrent reality shows such as Beauty and the Geek, within which beautiful trophy model girls are branded with ‘dumb blonde’ labels battle for money with highly intelligent men who have never dated/had sex before because they are more interested in studying or other hobbies, and need to be TAUGHT how to become socially acceptable.
    Anyhow to return to the concept of shame: I think to conclude, shame cannot exist without its binary opposite shameless. Does shame have a purpose? I think both shame and guilt keep our conscience in check, they are the overwhelming effects of our conscience. And in my eyes, it is important for shame to always come into play BEFORE we even do the action/deed/thought – let alone before we get found out!
    What I am AGAINST is the hypocrisy of Affected ‘shame’ and inflicting these concepts upon other people to an extreme where people who have done ‘shameless’ acts are killed.
    For instance in honour killings: http://www.jihadwatch.org/2010/05/switzerland-muslim-father-murders-his-teenage-daughter-with-an-axe-in-honor-killing.html
    Or cultural clashes: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1543358/Father-killed-family-for-being-too-western.html
    These articles, I’m sure will create lots of feedback and I wish to talk about cultural dissonance and difference in my next blog about Wittgenstein and language games.

    Love, happiness and health to you all xxxxxxxxx

    N.B. My concept of shame intially stemmed not only from the two conversations I had with friends - one about sexual mores and the other about domestic violence, but also having read about Dr. David Kelly, the UN weapons inspector who took his own life (or so they say) in 2003. Did he feel shame/guilt? Why would he have felt guilt?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_David_Kelly

    ReplyDelete